Gundala is a comic character created by Hasmi who first appeared in the comic "Gundala Putra Petir" in 1969. The location of the story is often depicted in the city of Yogyakarta, although in the film in 1981 is told to be in Jakarta. Gundala is a very popular comic character in Indonesia besides Si Buta Dari Gua Hantu, Godam, Aquanus, Mandala, Sri Asih, and Maza.
Gundala Putra Petir was first released in 1969. The character was created by Harya Suraminata (Hasmi). Adapting the development of foreign comics, Hasmi created 'Gundala' with local wisdom. The story of Gundala was not only influenced by foreign comics. Hasmi was also inspired by the Javanese legend, Ki Ageng Selo. Ki Ageng Selo is a powerful figure who is able to catch lightning with his hands. The name 'Gundala' itself is taken from the Javanese language, "Gundolo", which means lightning.
Early Life Edit
Sancaka is a scientist who is conducting a research to create the anti-lightning serum. Immersed in his ambition as a scientist, he forgot the birthday of Minarti, his lover, which resulted in the breakup of their relationship. The broken-hearted Sancaka ran furiously in the pouring rain. Suddenly a bolt of lightning struck him. In a coma, he was pulled by a force from another planet and adopted by the king of the Lightning Kingdom who was named Emperor Kronz, and at the same time was blessed with a super ability to emit thunder from his palm. King Typhoon of the Bayu Kingdom gave him the strength to run as fast as the wind.
Since then, at certain times, he appeared as a superhero of crime suppressers dressed in black tights with red shoes and loincloth. His face was covered with a mask, with only his eyes and mouth that are visible, and bird wings on the side of the mask.
Joining Patriot Edit
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
- Lightning strikes with various levels of strength
- Run as fast as the wind
- Lightning blow
- Hand-to-hand combatant (especially martial arts)
- Genius-Level Intellect
- Proficient in solving cases like a spy agent
- Unnamed mother
- Unnamed father †
- Atlantis (continent)
- Godam (planet)
- Ki Wilawuk
- Covox Planet
- Gundala is a part of Bumilangit Universe, a new superhero franchise in Indonesia that brings back thousands of Indonesia's classic superhero characters.
- Bumilangit Cinematic Universe is based on Bumilangit Comics (Gundala's comics' publisher).
- This movie is based on Indonesia superhero's comic "Gundala Putra Petir" (1969).
- "Gundala Putra Petir" comic has been released as a movie with the same title in 1981.
- Gundala was the first Indonesian movie that uses Dolby Atmos Technology.